02 Aug Post-Operative Instructions After a Tooth Extraction
While dentists will do all they can to save your tooth, teeth with severe damage to the pulp may require tooth extraction.
Tooth extraction is a simple procedure that involves removing the specific tooth/teeth. Following a successful tooth extraction, you may be able to get tooth replacement treatment (like a dental bridge or dentures) to restore the look and function of your smile.
However, to ensure you enjoy the best oral health possible, you must ensure your tooth extraction heals correctly.
Today, we’ll explain some of the most important post-extraction instructions to follow.
Instructions After Tooth Extraction: Right After Surgery
- Use the gauze pad for at least 30 minutes. Bite down firmly to keep it in place.
- Drink a cold liquid (juice, water, popsicle, smoothie, ice cream) after removing the gauze. Do not use a straw.
- Be careful not to bite your cheeks, tongue, or lips while your mouth is still numb. Numbness may take up to 6 hours to wear off.
- Those with sutures will need to return to the dentist in about a week to get them removed.
Extraction Post-Op Instructions: What NOT To Do
To facilitate proper healing and avoid infection, there are a few key things you should not do within the first 24 hours of tooth extraction:
- No smoking
- Do not use straws
- Do not blow your nose or play a musical instrument
- No brushing or rinsing at all (then avoid brushing near the site for 3 days)
- Do not spit excessively
- No hot liquids
- No chewing on the side of the procedure
- Avoid hard, crunchy foods
Tooth Extraction Mississauga
Here at Schellenberg Dental, we make sure all of our patients know everything they need to for post-extraction instructions. We’ll explain aftercare and give you a helpful guide that you can consult once you get home. Furthermore, our dedicated team is always here to answer any questions you may have about the instructions after tooth extraction. If you think you may need a tooth extraction, set up your consultation for tooth extraction in Mississauga today. Click the button below to schedule your appointment online.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.