13 Nov How Long Does a Tooth Filling Last?
Cavities are one of the most common dental issues we see.
As long as we catch them early, we can offer proper treatment to preserve your tooth. For many patients treating a cavity (and sometimes even a cracked or chipped tooth) requires a dental filling.
But is a tooth filling a long-term solution?
How long do tooth fillings last?
Let’s take a closer look at how long fillings last and what you can expect.
How Lon Do Dental Fillings Last?
First, there are multiple materials a dentist can use for fillings. In the past, gold and silver were more common because they were inexpensive and durable.
In general, dental fillings last for many years, often more than a decade. Here’s a breakdown based on material:
- Silver: Silver amalgam tooth fillings typically last 10-15 years before needing replacement.
- Gold: Gold fillings have the longest lifespan, lasting 15 to 30 years.
- Resin: While white composite resin can look the most natural, it may need to be replaced every 5 to 7 years.
- Ceramic: Porcelain or ceramic tooth fillings typically last over 15 years, but they cost as much as gold fillings.
How to Make Dental Fillings Last Longer
How long does a tooth filling last? It depends on the material, but also on several other factors. There are things you can do as a patient to ensure your tooth filling lasts as long as possible.
Here are a few tips for increasing the lifespan of your dental fillings:
- Practice proper dental hygiene. Brush twice daily and floss daily.
- Wear a night mouth guard if you grind or clench teeth.
- Wear a sports mouth guard for any high-impact or high-risk activities.
- Regular dental visits for a professional teeth cleaning and exam.
Tooth Filling Mississauga
Another way to help your tooth filling last is to choose an experienced, knowledgeable dentist. Choose Schellenberg Dental for your tooth filling in Mississauga. We will help you determine the right material for your tooth filling. We also provide tips and advice for helping all dental treatments last as long as possible. Schedule your appointment for a tooth filling in Mississauga today!