30 Sep How Do I Get Rid of My Bad Breath
Bad breath, well, stinks.
It can make you feel self-conscious on a date or during an interview, and it’s not something people around you enjoy either.
When you look up how to stop bad breath, many people talk about brushing and flossing. Those are great steps to take (and you should certainly do them if you aren’t already). However, basic oral hygiene is not always enough to stop bad breath.
Today, we’ll teach you how to get rid of bad breath permanently.
Read on to learn how to get rid of mouth smell.
Find the Cause
Before you can learn how to get a good breath, you must find out what’s causing your bad breath. Is a lack of oral hygiene at play? Is it as simple as certain foods? Or might you have halitosis, gingivitis, or an underlying condition?
One easy at-home check is to wipe a cotton gauze on your tongue. Examine it for any yellow stains or smells. If you see this, it indicates high levels of volatile sulfur compounds that cause bad breath.
Gingivitis, or gum disease, is another potential cause. It’s actually the top cause of bad breath in adults. Swollen, bleeding gums are a sign of gingivitis. This occurs over time due to bacteria and plaque buildup. An experienced dentist can assess your mouth for gingivitis.
The other top causes of bad breath include:
- Foods with onions, chilies, or garlic.
- Medications that dry out the mouth.
- Dry mouth (like during sleep)
- Infection of the mouth, nose, or throat
- Disease or medical condition
How to Stop Bad Breath
Once you know the causes of your bad breath, you can implement strategies for how to make your breath smell good.
Here are some ideas:
- Brush twice a day and floss daily
- Clean your tongue with a tongue scraper to remove bacteria
- Treat gingivitis if present
- Chew on sugarless gum or sugar-free candy to moisten your mouth
- Cleanse your palate with fresh parsley or black tea
- Eat a nutrient-dense diet packed with fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants naturally clean the teeth.
- See a dentist. Regular dental care can help address and prevent bad breath
Dentist Office Mississauga
While there are some helpful tips to try at home, seeing a dentist is the best strategy for how to get a good breath. Our knowledgeable dentists at Schellenberg Dental can help you get to the bottom of bad breath. If you’re looking for how to get rid of bad breath permanently, then it’s time to schedule an appointment at our dentist office in Mississauga.